Read our review about Carnival cruise Internet Access prices and the new Carnival cruise WiFi rates 2015. Another topic is Carnival unlimited Internet package cost and the WiFi cost. All Carnival Cruise Lines ships do have Internet via satellite connection. The onboard Internet access is facilitated through the Internet Cafe and WiFi ship-wide coverage. And yes – guests may use without restrictions their personal laptops, iPhones, smart phones and the rest of the WiFi equipped devices while on board the Fun Ships.
Carnival cruise Internet Cafe
The Internet Cafe is open 24-hours, as a venue it features private PC terminals (Windows XP) for web browsing, chat and e-mail services. For guests convenience, there is an Internet Cafe Manager for assistance. Here passengers can browse through the following “Carnival free of charge websites”: Carnival.com and GoCCL.com, Funville (forum), JohnHealdsBlog.com, CellularAtSea.com and Barclay Carnival MasterCard.
All these websites can be accessed without purchasing an Internet plan. At the terminals, you can’t edit or save MS Office documents, but most files can be viewed (in their “read only” mode).
Carnival cruise WiFi rates, Unlimited Internet
The Carnival Wireless Internet Service is a Wireless 802.11b card compatible (standard). While on board, guests may use their personal Internet devices, such as laptop, iPhone and all the rest WiFi equipped devices without restrictions. VPN access is restricted to connections of the type different then IPsec or PPTP connections.
Unlimited Internet package
- As of July 2015, Carnival already boasts “massively popular, faster, cheaper and all-round brilliant Internet packages” that cost just $5 per day- the so-called “Social” Internet plan lets users connect only to social networks. At $16 per day, guests can benefit from the “Value” plan, which offers casual Internet usage with access to e-mail and entire Internet, excluding music streaming, Skype or other bandwidth-intensive services. The “Premium” plan is at $25 per day – designed especially for heavy Internet users of the entire Internet.
Note: 13 of Carnival’s ships already offer the Internet packages listed above. The roll-out to entire fleet will be completed by October 2015. The ships without the new packages are operating under the by-the-minute plans. Passengers can upgrade from one Internet plan to another. They can use only one device at a time, and may print at no charge.
- The line’s unlimited Internet access plans (connected 24/7) are currently available on Dream, Glory and Magic ships, but they are not very popular due to the usual issues with low Internet speeds. These plans can be used on all personal devices or in the Internet Cafe, anytime throughout the sailing until debarkation. Once purchased there are no refunds.
|Plans||Internet Prices in USD||misc|
|Basic||$39,99 (for entire sailing)||limited to 1 mobile device & Internet Cafe|
||speed up to 50x faster than “Basic”, allowing steaming, accessing VPN networks, using smart-phone applications.|
|additional per sailing plans||50% discount||applies to per sailing plans purchased by the same stateroom, credit will appear on the guest’s S&S account within 24 hours.|
Note: The above listed Internet package plans are currently offered not on all ships in the fleet, but only on Dream, Glory and Magic. The Breeze was excluded from this indeed small list. The line’s official excuse are the slow satellite connection speeds at sea.
Carnival cruise Internet access, packages
All Carnival Internet access charges are billed directly to the guest’s on-board S&S account. These packages are transferable between the terminals in the Internet Cafe and guests’ personal Internet devices. Carnival Internet packages are called “Time Plans” and can be used anytime throughout the sailing until debarkation. Instructions on creating an account and pricing information will be provided (Internet Cafe/ personal device) once you connect to the ship’s Wi-Fi network.
- IMPORTANT: All minutes don’t have to be used in a single session. All unused minutes will be lost. A plan upgrade for a pre-selected package is not available.
- activation fee (one-time charge) US $3,95 (applied to each user on her/his first login only).
- 480 min package $159 ($0,33 per minute)
- 240 min package $89 ($0,37/min)
- 120 min package price $59 ($0,49/min)
- 45 min package $29 ($0,64/min)
- Internet per minute cost (“Pay As You Go”) $0,75/min.
- the cost of printing (per page in the Internet Cafe) $0,50.
- (additional) CruisE-mail® cost $3,95 for each sent message (no additional charges for received messages). This is the Carnival’s personalized e-mail service for guests who either don’t have or are unable to access their own e-mail.
- The above Internet prices are for all the Carnival cruise fleet.
- Internet account information (instructions and pricing) are present on-screen in the Internet Cafe, and also on your personal Internet device once you connect to the Carnival WiFi on the ship. Carnival Internet prices are identical, whether guest use Internet on the Cafe’s terminals or on their own laptops or other WiFi devices. All Internet access charges are billed directly to the guests”Sail & Sign” accounts.
- Carnival Internet Time Plans are transferable between the Internet Cafe’s computers and the guests’ personal devices. There is no refund for unused minutes. Upgrading a pre-selected cruise Internet package is not permitted.
iPhones/Blackberries Internet access – either by using the cellular network (at the international data rates of their carrier) or the Carnival WiFi access (at the same time plan rates).
Cruise ship laptop rentals are available on Dream, Magic, Breeze and Vista – a limited number of laptops for rent for $9/day or complimentary with the 480 or 240 min plans. A $50 deposit will be charged on your S&S card (refunded upon returning the device, optional insurance for $10/day). On all other ships in the fleet laptops are also available for rent – $10/day, complimentary with Time Plans, $50 deposit, optional insurance $10/day.
Carnival cruise Internet cost-cutting tips
- before the sailing convert your email settings to basic (less graphic intense)
- if you’re planning to work online while sailing, discuss VPN limitations with your firm’s IT specialist (Carnival will not be able to change settings on board).
- packing checklist: WiFi enabled laptop/mobile devices, power supply (for each of your devices), data cables, headphones.
- use the Carnival free WiFi/wireless Internet access to the Funville forum to communicate home/friends for free – just set up a thread there before leaving and mail its link to your family/friends (they’ll need an account to post messages at Funville). You can also connect to a free WiFi when the ship is at call ports – ask someone from the crew where. There’s also a Carnival free WiFi on the ship, but it’s relatively slow (public areas offer much better connection/stronger signals than cabins).
- phone calls from a Carnival ship cost $2 per minute (the charge through “Cellular at Sea” is $2,50 per minute). And remember:
- 1 – the satellite Internet is a lot more slower than the high-speed connection on shore (your data must be transmitted over a slow signal to a satellite 22000 ml above you, then the satellite bounces your data back down to the exchange). Tip: the onboard Internet speed is much better in early morning (5 to 8 AM) and also around dinner times (6 to 10 PM).
- 2 – the on-board Internet access is not guaranteed at all times (satellite communications are subject to disruptions due to weather patterns/location)
- 3 – (some excerpts from forum reviews) “extremely slow”, “slower than dial up”, “minutes are eaten pretty quickly”, “because of the connection sometimes not everything is sent”.
- 4 – Verizon text message prices on cruise ships (international messaging): sent ($0,25 text, $0,50 data) and received ($0,20 text & $0,25 data).
Carnival WIFI and Fun Hub website
The Fun Hub Carnival website can be accessed through Wi-Fi enabled devices. Guests must connect to Carnival WiFi network and open an Internet browser. Fun Hub is also accessible at the complimentary Internet café locations with 24 hour access. Currently available on Carnival Breeze, Dream, Magic, Sunshine and Vista, the Fun Hub locations allow passengers free access to informative website updated daily.
The Fun Hub site details ship’s numerous activities, including:
- daily events, youth programs, entertainment options
- food and beverage offerings, venue descriptions, sample menus
- itinerary and weather information
- latest news, sports scores
- key shipboard personnel’ biographies
- ship announcements
- deck plans and maps
- frequently asked questions.
A filtering option assists in planning guests’ day. FunHub is available free of charge on any Internet Café Fun Hub computer or Wi-Fi device. Internet access to sites that are outside the Fun Hub is also available wirelessly and through all Fun Hub locations. Charges will apply.
Carnival new cruise WIFI system
Carnival Corporation unveiled the first-of-its-kind in cruise industry hybrid wireless network. It’s a high-speed enhanced service soon to be rolled out to all ships on all 9 Carnival lines. WiFi@Sea™ is expected to revolutionise the way millions of passengers stay in touch during the voyage and, perhaps, will encourage the interest in cruising among the tech-savvy generation.
This unique system will integrate land-based strategically located antennas that are installed along the cruise routes, advanced satellites and Wi-Fi from port connection, thus forming Carnival’s “smart hybrid” network. The system will give travelers the highest strength of signal and bandwidth capacity. The network will provide Internet connectivity speeds 10 times faster than the previously offered by Carnival.
Carnival Corporation is starting the launch of the new system on ships sailing to the Caribbean. The global roll-out will then continue with Alaska (2015 summer) and extend to the Baltic, Mediterranean, Western European and Asian regions (2015 and 2016). You can share/like/rate our Carnival Cruise WIFI/Internet review via the social buttons. Integrated with our Carnival Cruise Information hub.