Read all about the Carnival Fun Ship 2.0 upgrade, schedule (dry-dock dates) by the Carnival Cruise Lines ship refurbishment, renovation and enhancement program. Our list of Fun Ship 2.0 refurbished Carnival ships will tell you on which ships are all the new upgrades available. We also have the Carnival cruise ship refurbishment schedule for the regular maintenance of Carnival ships with more or less of the Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades to be installed. Integrated with Carnival cruise information, and at this link you can see all major lines cruise ships refurbishments schedule and news.
“Carnival Fun Ship” today means so much more than a logo content for the world’s biggest cruise line. It means quality, unique features and specific trends of targeting the big cruise ship travel industry at levels no one has seen before. Carnival Fun Ship is a term referring to the consistent policy of the Carnival company to keep its huge fleet up-to-date, always better, most fun, special and absolutely unique.
Carnival Fun Ship 1.0 program
Carnival Fun Ship 1.0 upgrades (the program was officially named “Evolutions of Fun”) were a part of the Carnival ship refit-refurbishment program pertaining mostly to the oldest Carnival ships of the Fantasy-class (Ecstasy, Elation, Fantasy, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Paradise, Sensation). It included adding all the special Carnival fun features, like the biggest LED screen at sea (the “Seaside Theatre”), the WaterWorks aqua park, the adults-only Serenity complex, mini-golf courses, enlarging the on-board spa, the Carnival kids programming, refitting Oceanview cabins into balconied, implementing fleet-wide the “Your Time Dining” concept, etc.
This “first wave” of making Carnival Fun Ships better started in 2007 and was finished in 2010.
Carnival Fun Ship 2.0 program
“Impressive” is the right word for the Carnival’s “Fun Ship 2.0″ schedule, since everything pertaining to the Carnival Line and any Carnival should be in this category – and above. The new upgrades and renovations cover dining, entertainment, public venues (bars and lounges), and it all started with the Carnival Liberty ship in October 2011. The list with ships that won’t receive the “full pack” of new features includes Conquest, Glory, Freedom and Valor, and partially Magic and Dream. The reason – they don’t have the necessary deck space for all of the 2.0 upgrades.
The Carnival Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades/renovation program was initiated in 2011 to extend through the end of 2015. The “Fun Ship 2.0″ program is the Carnival’s US $500 million product-enhancement initiative encompassing 14 Carnival ships and incorporating the CCL’s concepts already introduced on the newest Carnival cruise ships (Magic and Breeze), plus adding numerous brand new features. It also includes the visions and direct involvement and participation of celebrities, like the “delicious” Guy Fieri and George Lopez “the fun”. The newest Carnival ship refurbishment program will be a “most fun” media content in the next 5 years in which it will be implemented.
Carnival Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades
- The new Carnival cruise burgers at “Guy’s Burger Joint” (by the Food Network‘s Fieri) – free of charge top notch Beef burgers with huge slabs of beef, 2 kinds of cheese, hand-cut fries and the ton of smiles (poolside, open for lunch/dinner/snacks).
- A new on-board comedy program overseen by the new Carnival Line’s comedy director – the celebrity George Lopez and the “The Punchliner Comedy Club” – high quality live comedy shows as part of the on-board evening entertainment, performed in the main dining rooms.
- An upgraded music program, overseen by the new Carnival Line’s official DJ – the celebrity DJ Irie of the “Miami Heat”.
- Upgraded stage shows – “Motor City” (60s Motown hits), “Divas” (music-dance-fashion, with music from female singers) and the themed “Latin Nights” and “The Brits!”.
- The list of new venues on Carnival ships includes the “SportSquare” (already on Magic), the “Cherry on Top” shop, and the “Cucina del Capitano” family restaurant with its best Italian cuisine and singing waiters, the “RedFrog Pub” on Breeze will be copied fleetwide: as the Caribbean “RedFrog Rum Bar” (with its frozen drinks and beers and the new Carnival “ThirstyFrog Red” label draft brew) plus the new Mexican “BlueIguana Tequila Bar” with its own frozen drinks and Mexican beers (both bars are located pool deck, and both allowing the most casual shorts and flip flops). The list of the new Carnival ship bars continues the “Library Bar” (bar service & automatic wine dispensers), the top-modern “EA SPORTS Bar” (interactive EA video games, watching live sports on a huge video-wall, 24-7 real-time sports scores) and the “Alchemy Bar” (traditional, specialty & custom made cocktails) – a free-choice concept to mix your own concoctions via tablet. A new free of charge casual dining venue is the “BlueIguana Cantina” (located pool-deck) – a fresh Mexican cuisine of burritos, tacos and on board-made tortillas with a big variety of salsas and toppings, Mexican beers and frozen drinks, live music – it surely sounds great!
- As to the new entertainment, besides the Lopez effect, there’ll be “The Game Show” (licensed by Hasbro Inc) permitting guests to play Hasbro classics on stage and shown on giant LED screens (6 main games are included in the show – “Sorry Sliders”, “Simon Flash”, “Yahtzee Bowling”, “Operation” and “Connect 4 Basketball”). The “Playlist Productions” (30-minute shows by leading West End and Broadway caliber producers and directors) will include current musical hits, “high speed energy” shows, great special effects combined with live performances. The first Carnival Breeze ship’s passengers will be the first ever to experience this new kind of show productions.
Carnival refurbishment schedule 2015 dry dock dates
- [Carnival refurbished ships 2011] – Legend, Liberty, Magic, Valor.
- [Carnival refurbished ships 2012] – Dream (Sept8-22), Conquest (Oct14-28), Glory (Nov2-15).
Carnival ships refurbishments 2013
- Destiny (Feb22-Apr12)
- Fantasy (Jan26-Feb8)
- Fascination (Jan5-19, adding 98 balcony cabins)
- Imagination (September 16-30)
- Triumph (May 11 – June 12)
- Inspiration (November 4-18).
Carnival cruise ships refurbishments 2014
- Legend (Feb1-15, for Australia cruises)
- Pride (Oct 19-Nov 9)
- Victory (October 9-November 5)
- Elation (Nov-Dec)
- Ecstasy (October 10-27)
- Freedom (April-May)
- Valor (July-Aug).
Carnival ships to be refurbished 2015
- Fascination (March 14-27)
- Miracle (March 7-21)
- Paradise (February 26-March 11)
- Sensation (February 12-25)
- Splendor (?).
Carnival Fun Ship 2.0 schedule
All Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades, and which ships have what. Integrated with Carnival cruise dining options.
|1 – RedFrog Bar||2 – BlueIguana Tequila||3 – BlueIguana Cantina||4 – Guy’s Burger||5 – Alchemy Bar||6 – DJ IRIE|
|7 – Punchliners Club||8 – Hasbro||9 – Playlist Productions||10 – EA Sports||11 – Library Bar||other:
|Breeze||all, plus Cucina del Capitano, Bonsai Sushi, Fat Jimmy’s BBQ, SeaDogs||Liberty||all but 11|
|Conquest||all||Magic||all but 3 & 4, plus Cucina del Capitano, SeaDogs|
|Dream||1, 2, 6, 7, 12, 13||Miracle||scheduled 2015, currently with 6, 7, 12, 13|
|Ecstasy||last refurb 2011||Paradise||scheduled 2015|
|Elation||last refurb 2014||Pride||Oct19-Nov9, 2014, has 13; will have all new bars plus Bonsai Sushi, WaterWorks Water Park|
|Fantasy||last refurb 2010||Sensation||last refurb 2009, has 12|
|Fascination||6, 7, 8, 9||Spirit||last refurb 2012|
|Freedom||last refurb 2014, has 13||Splendor||currently has 6, 7, 13, scheduled for 1 & 2|
|Glory||all||Sunshine||all, plus (unique) Havana Bar, Ji Ji Kitchen, Bonsai Sushi, Cucina del Capitano, Pizzeria del Capitano, JavaBlue Cafe, Shake Spot, SeaDogs|
|Imagination||last refurb 2010, has 12||Triumph||all but 8|
|Inspiration||last refurb 2010, has 12||Valor||last refurb 2014, has 13|
||Victory||scheduled for 2015.|
The most extensively-expensive of all (ever) was the Carnival Destiny’s drydock refit/transformation. At the staggering cost of US $155 million, this really extreme makeover produced a brand new Carnival ship in 2013! After its last dry-dock ever (a 49-day refurbishment), the Destiny ship emerged as Carnival Sunshine. This amazing cruise ship transformation was made in the Fincantieri shipyard (Monfalcone, Italy) adding a new partial deck and 2 other decks (in the front section). As a result from the Carnival Destiny renovation, 182 new cabins were added (including 96 spa cabins), all of the ship’s other cabins were also refurbished (with a new tropical decor). The list of all major changes includes:
- a new Asian restaurant (casual dining venue)
- “The Comfort Kitchen” (in the Lido Marketplace)
- the “Havana Bar” (Lido Marketplace) with floor to ceiling windows
- the “Sunshine Bar” (Atrium)
- a new cigar club
- the first ever 3-deck-high Carnival Serenity retreat (an adults-only area) with the Carnival Cloud 9 Spa package.
- the “SportSquare” (an open-air complex with a ropes course, a minigolf course and a half-size basketball-volleyball court.
Carnival Triumph was in drydock in Bahamas (Freeport, Grand Bahama shipyard) from May 11 through June 12. The Triumph dry dock was for final repairs/enhancements, and CCL used the drydock time to implement some of the Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades. The list of upgrades includes: “Guy’s Burger Joint”, “BlueIguana Cantina”, “Alchemy Bar”, “EA SPORTS Bar”, “RedFrog Rum Bar”, “BlueIguana Tequila Bar”. By the new $300 mill fleet-wide renovation program (see below) the Triumph ship was also outfitted with new fire detection/suppression systems and with an additional emergency backup generator. At the above link there’s a video from CCL about all the new stuff on this magnificent better-than-ever Fun Ship. The total cost of the work on the Triumph ship (repairs and enhancements) US$115 million.
Carnival Fantasy class cruise ships are the line’s oldest design, with the ms Destiny ship being the oldest in the CCL fleet. This is one truly great ship – a vessel with a heart. She definitely look fantastic for her age, but there’s a little chance Carnival to outfit this class of ships with any major (and especially Fun Ship 2.0) upgrades. But they will make them better – that’s for sure!
Since many Destiny fans are hoping for balcony cabins, my guess is CCL will not add balconies to the Destiny ship either – it’s too expensive. Plus, rumor has it, Carnival Destiny probably will be sold and transferred to some of Carnival Corporation’s foreign cruise lines (possibly to Iberocruceros, Spain). Just like they did with the ms Holiday cruise ship – transferred to Ibero in 2010, to continue operations under the name “Grand Holiday”.
Carnival refurbishment program 2013 – technology, upgrades, updates
On April 17, 2013, CCL announced it will spend more than US$300 mill on ship upgrades and enhancements fleet-wide. Safety and electrical fixes have already begun on some ships which are currently in dry-dock, but in general the work will be done while the vessels are in service. CCL officials said the improvement plan for the upgrades came after a comprehensive review of the Triumph’s fire incident. The main goals of the new (and very expensive) renovation program are:
- Enhancing emergency power capabilities. An additional emergency diesel generator will be installed on each ship (back-up power for cabin and public toilets, fresh water, elevators). A 2nd permanent back-up power system will be also installed to additionally back up hotel/guest services (cooking facilities, food refrigerators, internet/phone communications).
- Improving fire prevention/detection/suppression capacities by implementing newest fire safety technologies. Upgrades will be made on the existing fire suppression systems (the new system will produce larger & thicker cloud of water droplets), some engine-related electrical components will be also upgraded.
- Improving the operating redundancy of each ship’s 2 separate engine rooms.
- Expanding the hotel services availability during incidents involving loss of main power.
- New technology initiatives – scrubbers (air pollution control devices) will be installed on all ships through the end of 2014 (estimated cost $1-1,5 million per engine). An airbubble technology- and a LNG (liquefied natural gas) pilot tests to be launched later in 2013. A new Carnival global training center is being completed in Holland with numerous bridge & engine room simulators.
- Carnival Corp fleet-wide enhancements will start with an operational review of all the 10 Carnival brands ships (a total of 101 vessels). Based on the results of the review, the latest technology versions will be implemented on all ships where they are not present. The overall cost of the enchantments program across the whole fleet (CCL ships included) will cost from US$600 to US$700 million.
- According to the official statistics, nearly 4,5 mill passengers sail with CCL each year. Carnival cruise market share infographic for 2013 shows 21.2% for CCL and 48.4% for Carnival Corp (all brands).
- “I’ll continue to sail on them if they’re going where I want & the price’s right. And if they have a serious problem while I’m onboard I know I’ll get a decent compensation or a possible free cruise.” Add to this statement the new Carnival vacation protection guarantee (reviewed at the Carnival news link below) – and now you know why Carnival is the best company in this business.
- Follow this link to our cruise ship engine-propulsion-fuel survey to read interesting facts about these marine ship technology related topics.
Well, Carnival surely has its big things going on all the time! For more info on upcoming events and latest news – follow this link to our Carnival Cruise News hub.
You can share/like/rate our Carnival Fun Ship 2.0 schedule (dry-dock refurbishments) review via the social buttons. As to the many hearts around here – with the CCL is either you love it or you don’t. So if you’re a fan – grab a candy and enjoy the unique experience on each of your Fun Ship carnivals at sea! Happy Carnival sailings, guys!