Your best answer to "What is a Repositioning Cruise" and "What are Repositioning Cruises Perfect For". Repositioning cruise ships, itineraries, sailing dates, price comparison, tips and tricks.
Repositioning cruise - definition. The cruise ships repositioning (relocation) cruise is always an one-way cruise itinerary, it's operated always by ocean-going passenger ships, always during Spring and Fall and it always offer the cheapest rates of the particular line and ship. The only exceptions of this general rule may occur when newly built cruise ships relocate from their ship building yards to their home-ports, or when ships change their departure ports with new ones. These are rare occasions, but they do happen.
Repositioning cruise deals are a necessity for the world's major cruise lines, due to the great number of operational ships in their fleets and the numerous diverse destinations they operate around the world. If all these big to biggest cruise ships sail empty on their long relocation itineraries, it would be a bad business decision for any cruise company, a shame for the common sense of humans as a specie, and, of course, a non-existent big opportunity for all the adventurous people fortunate enough to have the time to sail on longer sea ship vacations on big oceanic ships in low season.
The most famous repositioning cruise destinations are in the same time the world's best cruise ship travel destinations - Europe and Caribbean, Alaska and Hawaii, Asia, Australia and South America, which naturally includes Panama Canal and Transatlantic cruise crossings at their best ever prices. Virtually all ship repositioning itineraries are scheduled in Spring (March through May) and Fall (September through November, and sometimes in December - depending on region), as cruise ship lines transition between their summer-winter schedules. Few ports of call along the way is also a part of the ships relocation deals, although some ships may stop at several ports in the early part of the cruise, particularly when ships depart from Europe, and especially from the Mediterranean. So expect to spend the vast majority of your trip at sea.
The low season cruise travel in general is the cheapest option to visit a great vacation destination at its best prices. The not-so-popular vacation months also offer some of the most cheap fly and cruise deals to and from Mediterranean, Caribbean (mostly with flights to and from Florida ports), Alaska, South America and Australia. The low-season sea travel vacations always offer the option of buying cheap cruise and stay packages and enjoying less crowded places in top destinations all over the world by extremely cheap rates even on luxury hotels and all inclusive resorts.
What are the world's best repositioning cruise itineraries?
- Imagine a cheap cruise starting from Sydney Australia, visiting the best Pacific Islands, then visiting the Hawaiian Islands, then going to Alaska and ending in Vancouver, and sometimes in Seattle!
- Imagine a cheap cruise from Europe departing from one of its largest Mediterranean ports, like Barcelona, Rome, Venice or Athens, visiting Canary Islands or the Azores, then going all the way Transatlantic to Caribbean and Florida, or the South America with visiting the most famous ports in Brazil! How about a low priced Transatlantic crossing from Southampton to New York, visiting along the way Scotland and Ireland, Iceland and Greenland, and just before the NYC disembarkation - stopping in some of the best East Coast ports of Canada New England! Or an one-way Transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Caribbean visiting the Canaries and ending in Barbados!
- Imagine a cheap Panama Canal cruise crossing, starting with Vancouver and Alaska, then visiting the largest ports in California, like San Francisco, Los Angeles or San Diego, then visiting the Mexican Riviera, then transiting through the Panama Canal miracle to reach Florida or New Orleans, or Galveston, or continuing all the way to New York City!
- Imagine a most cheap one-way Alaskan cruise from Vancouver to Seattle or the reverse Seattle to Vancouver - the same Alaska with extremely low to indecently cheap cruise ship tickets prices!
- Or imagine a Suez Canal cruise from UK to Asia or Australia New Zealand! Yes, it could well be a relocation sailing as oppose to the expensive Around the World cruise itineraries!
And this is happening EVERY year, during each Spring and Fall, always! Well, imagine no more! It's a real deal, it's a best deal - the name of your new best reality game is "Me Myself and the Repositioning Cruise Ships"!
What are the benefits and drawbacks of a relocation cruise? It's all about cheap travel (50%+ discounted rates), less crowded ships, additional on-board entertainment options and "bonus" activities (interesting lectures, cooking and dance classes are the hits), only the world's best vacation regions. Aaaaaaaaand longer than usual ocean voyages (2+ weeks in length), the issue of seasickness (some people don't like much the motion of the ocean), the limited ports of call (shore excursions), inflexible departure dates (difficult to fit with any special occasions or holiday vacation days), an increased on-board spending (more time at sea) and you will also have to book hotels and a flight back to the departure point. Well, it's surely perfect for retired people - they got all the time in the world, enough money to spend on themselves, plus the possibility of receiving all kinds of age-related discounts!
Retired or not, just name your favorite vacation destination and go get your cheap repositioning cruise! Grab your chance to visit exotic ports and to sail on the world's best cruise ships at their best rates, spending multiple days at sea, enjoying the sun and the most exotic drinks by the ship's pool, gambling at the ship's casino, watching great movies and grand shows at the on-board theater, gourmet all inclusive dining, a nice cabin, great amenities, perfect service! Have your best fun and save money while doing it!
Good luck with your favorite big ships repositioning deals, and have always safe and happy sailings! For all the rest - go to our Relocation Cruises hub.