Thomson Cruise Line review includes history, ships and facts about one of the best British cruise lines. Thomson Cruises history is about Thomson Holidays – an UK based travel company, part of TUI Travel PLC. Originally named Thomson Tour Operations, it was founded in 1965. The article is integrated with our best cruise companies list.
Thomson Cruises Review
- Thomson Holidays operates its cruise line- Thomson Cruises, which provides cruises around Europe that are low-priced, with ships from Holland America Line and Louis Cruise Lines.
- Initially, the company entered cruise market in 1973. Due to the rising fuel costs, in 1976 it was terminated. Thomson Cruises restarted the cruise line in 1995 and nowadays holds 1% market share of worldwide cruise industry.
- In 2009, MS Island Escape was added to Thomson fleet, after TUI acquisitioned the share of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. in Island Cruises in 2008.
- Thomson Cruises has its own unique place in British cruise market as cruise division of the largest tour operator and travel agency in Britain. After its foundation in 1965, the company soon established dominant position in the British tour market with own airlines and travel agencies.
- Two Greek ocean liners were chartered by Thomson in 1973, but the company failed to capture audience, like other cruise lines of the 70s. Operations restarted in 1995 after Thomson Cruises chartered Sapphire- a small ship from Louis Cruise Lines. Soon the company chartered other ships, among which Island Breeze owned by Premier Cruises, Topaz and Emerald.
- Thomson Cruises aimed an effect on British market just like Carnival did in the United States. Package holidays had already been very popular in the United Kingdom, and the company wanted the same for cruising. Despite the aging ships, Thomson cruises attracted an ever-increasing number of Britons- first-time cruisers with attractive fares and presence of company’s travel agencies across Britain.
- Royal Caribbean sold its stake in Island Cruises to TUI Travel (Thomson Cruises’ parent company) in 2008. In 2009 Island Star left the fleet and joined the Spanish brand of Royal Caribbean- Pullmantur.
- Island Escape joined Thomson fleet in 2009 and continued to offer informal cruises to U.K. market. The latest addition to the fleet is Thomson Dream. The vessel joined in spring 2010 from Costa Cruises.
- In the 1990s Thomson Cruises began working as budget cruise operator and improved its product becoming more successful in cruise industry by improving amenities, ships and service and introducing a wider range of itineraries.
With a large selection of destinations and itineraries, Thomson Cruises may show you the whole world. With a variety of choices from UK cruises with departures from Southampton, Newcastle and Harwich; cruise and fly holidays from a large number of airports (available departures from over twenty UK airports), Thomson Cruises sail in the Red Sea and Canary Islands during winter, the Mediterranean in summer. There are about a hundred different destinations to explore aboard Thomson five ships- Thomson Celebration, Thomson Spirit, Thomson Majesty, Thomson Dream and Island Escape.
A cruise and stay holiday with Thomson Cruises at a Thomson hotel or apartment is a possibility to take the best of both worlds. You can choose to have the stays either at the beginning or at the end of your cruise. On-board cuisine offers everything you can think about- from healthy options to exotic local specialties and culinary choices on offer. Daytime entertainment with Thomson cruises is great for all members of the family. There are also different activities for children on-board and special children’s menu for junior diners. You can relax each evening in the wide range of bars and lounges or enjoy first class entertainment with singers and comedians. Official website thomson.co.uk, and this is the line’s Wiki page.
Thomson Cruise Line Ships
- Thomson Spirit- built in 1983, entered service with Thomson in 2003; Maltese flag;
- Thomson Celebration- built in 1984, entered service with Thomson in 2005; Maltese flag;
- Thomson Dream- built in 1986, entered service with Thomson in 2010; Maltese flag;
- Thomson Majesty- built in 1992, entered service with Thomson in 2012; Maltese flag;
- Thomson Island Escape- built in 1982, entered service with Thomson in 2009; Bahamian flag.
- Read more about cruise ship registry and what is a “flag state” at our survey on cruise ships flags.
Choose Thomson – from family and winter-sun voyages to the Red Sea and Canary Islands, cheap! Thomson attract a broad cross-section of British middle class with people of different ages. Thomson has always been attractive for first-timers. The company also sees increasing number of passengers who do not like moving up to fancier lines and return again. On-board all ships of Thomson (except Calypso) singles and couples are well-represented but there will also be a number of families, usually during British school holidays.
You can share/like/rate our review of Thomson Cruise Line via the social buttons. Best of luck with your Thomson cruise travel deals, and always happy sailings!